Options Academy is a program for Des Moines Public Schools students who need a new path to their high school diploma. Options students earn their diploma by finishing their credit requirements through self-paced classes and/or HiSET exams.
In addition to a personalized teaching and learning plan for each student, Options Academy also provides students with career coaching and post secondary opportunities.
- Options Academy is a free program for current Des Moines Public Schools students
- Each student will have access to a personalized learning plan
- All Options students receive a free DART Pass, breakfast, and lunch
- Academic instruction includes traditional credit recovery and competency-based assessments to fill in core credit gaps in your graduation requirements
- Students are still enrolled 1% at their home school for opportunities to engage in AP and Central Campus courses, electives, ROTC, Activities, Clubs, Dances, and Athletics
Who Is Eligible for Options Academy?
- Current Des Moines Public School students ages 17-21
How Does the Exam Help Students Graduate?
- Students who pass specific content exams can use their score to earn missing core content areas towards their diploma: English (Reading/Writing Exam), Math, Science, and Social Studies.
- To graduate, students must also fulfill the State of Iowa’s Graduation Requirements, which includes 1.0 PE Credit and CPR.
Student Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday: 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- Address: 1000 Porter Avenue, Des Moines, IA
- P: 515-242-7254
- Staff Directory
- Options Academy follows the district’s student calendar instructional days
Options Academy Pathway Requests
- If you or your child are interested in Options Academy, please talk to your school counselor or SUCCESS case manager.